RE: More Unions

Subject: RE: More Unions
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:39:08 -0600

One thing that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is what unions can do TO you as opposed to FOR you (with the exception of charging you dues). As I've already stated, my father was a member of the International Woodworker's union, and though it saved his job at a point where he was about to suffer a great injustice, it also put him through h*ll a couple of times with sympathy strikes.

You see, he worked for Weyerhauser, and although his mill in Arkansas had no complaints against management they union still went on strike in support of a contract dispute in Washington State. He ended up working part-time at the feed store and whatever odd jobs he could find just to try to make ends meet for several months all because some workers that he had never met in another state wanted longer coffee breaks or some other perk like that.

Would you be willing to forgo your paycheck to help some anonymous union "brother" with his grevience when you were happy with the terms of your own employeement?

Not me. I'm not that red, and never have been.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp