(Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:18:46 -0500

The one I can't stand is "utilize." As a noun, this word is totally
acceptable--"utilization committee"--but as a verb, you can forget it. "To
utilize the command bar" Ugh! "Use" is perfectly acceptable thank you.
"Utilize" is affectation used (:-)) to inform the reader that the writer
went to college...although obviously skipped Composition 101. That's just
my opinion, though.

What on earth is a "funclet" or a "functiod"?

On your list, my favorite is "disambiguate." I've never heard it in context
(not like that would matter in IT), but even contemplating its meaning has
me thinking of "Who's on first?" by Abbott and Costello.

Regards,

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer
Paragon Product Assurance Group - CLT
> McKesson Information Solutions, Inc

> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> message.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr