RE: You can't go home again

Subject: RE: You can't go home again
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:35:48 -0500

I tried to follow the union thread and so I don't
think I missed the part where somebody is reporting
actual experience AS a tech writer, IN a union.

A true guild is what a union tries to be.

It dominates and constrains its own members, sucks
money out of them, and uses them (either directly or
by virtue of their numbers) as a weapon of political
clout to further the aims of those at the top.

It has an intricate and bureaucratically (as well as
politically) entrenched heirarchy.

At the upper levels, it's members are indistinguishable
in thought and action from the picture they paint to
their members (and to the public) of "the bosses". They
tend to spend more time in the company of those bosses and
political wheeler-dealers than in the company of the
plebes in the union/guild ranks.

And, the number one reason the two are basically the
same:

They seek to obtain the blessing/clout of the "king"
to use force in achieving advantage over non-guild/union
workers. That is, they seek to have themselves and
their rules entrenched in the law of the land.

I wouldn't work in a union tech-writing shop unless I was
desperate (I escaped from a union into staff jobs, where
I stopped feeling like a cog or a fodder-game-piece), and
if/when the STC begins to take on guild-like trappings,
that's when I start looking for something else.

Guilds/unions follow a pattern that can often be
seen in immigrants.

In the first and maybe second generations, they are hardworking
and useful. By the third generation they have become "us", with
a very select view of what constitutes "them", and thereafter
they expend considerable effort closing the door to those
who try to follow.

Eventually, "the rest of us" need countering laws to get us
past the barriers the unions or guilds have set up.

I suggest that if you are in a union at a company, either
a local union or a local of a bigger union, then you are
relatively faceless. Your interests as a tech writer
are submerged in the generalized, homogenized group interest.
If there are layoffs, you might find yourself dropped for
your lack of seniority, and not due to your value or even
the need for tech writers at the company. If you are kept,
you may find yourself displacing a non-tech-writer due
purely to seniority reasons (so, how much practice HAVE
you had at accounts-payable?...:-).

If, instead, you are a member of a trade-union or guild
(i.e., nation-wide or international), then basically,
you are paying a chunk of your salary to them to act as
an agency toward your employer (without the job-search
or placement services). The differences, though, are
that a contractor with an agency can quit and go
work for another agency, if she doesn't like the policies
of the current agency. But, if the new tech-writer guild
has gotten itself a legal mandate (like the AMA or the
teachers union...), then there is no other game in town.
In other words, by joining them, you gain a lot of clout...
but a lot of that clout doesn't really work in your interest.
Some of it may work against your interests, and you are tied in.
If you *don't* join, you can't work (or you can work under
some scary conditions, where you spend a lot of time looking
over your shoulder as a "concientious objector").

Unions might still be good for the unskilled and the
unspecialized, i.e., the interchangeable. I don't see them
being good for educated, flexible, resourceful crafts-persons/
professionals like our wonderful selves.

YMMV. Be careful what you wish for.

/kevin
kmclauchlan-at-chrysalis-dash-eye-tee-ess-dot-com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr