POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)

Subject: POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)
From: "Roy Jacobsen" <rjacobse -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:29:37 -0600

I'm satisfying my curiosity here. When discussing the limitations (as
opposed to the capabilities) of a product, do you favor positive
phrasing (e.g. "You can assign at item to only one group.") or negative
(e.g. "You can't assign an item to more than one group.")?

In thecontext of discussing the limitations of a product, which conveys
the information most clearly and forcefully?

Roy M. Jacobsen
Senior Editor, Documentation
Microsoft Great Plains Business Solutions
One Lonetree Road
Fargo, ND 58104-3911
USA
rjacobse -at- microsoft -dot- com

A fool and his money are soon partying.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr