RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:25:38 +1100

Ah well - disagreements foster such.

> ISO, if you carefully read
their standards, is not and never has been, nor will it ever be a guarantee
of quality products (or documentation).

My statement ("ISO9001 was the end-result of a large number of large
companies seeking to
improve their processes through consistant application of solid
principles.") does not make any allusion to the guiding principle you state.
Yet....

ISO was brought about by people desiring to have a "best of" standard. If
ISO is not a (do not read as Only) guarentee of Quality, why is it QA uses
ISO? Why is it ISO certification comes with a Quality tick? The experts are
all mad of course and Joanne Hackos is dribbling fast.

ISO does NOT say you must follow your process. What is DOES say is that all
processes performed repetively must be written down and defined to ensure a
Quality (standard) result. Deviations are allowed but MUST be documented. If
you don't know how something was done - how can you repeat your performance?
Business is about producing repeatable results within an acceptable level of
error.

If you follow the spirit of ISO - the continous Quality improvement cycle -
your processes will improve. However, that is not to say that ISO can't be
misinterpreted and mis-applied.

> It also doubled the amount of work I have to do in order to develop or
modify a pub.

Qualify this please. I have never heard anything so ridiculous. Does
registering a new document in a spread-sheet take just as much time as
WRITING the document? Sheeesh. Let alone you can merely store it in a stated
location and not even register it - as registration can be provided throughh
an audit of standard locations :-(

> All too
often, however, once a style guide is created, it tends to become stagnant
over time because it is rarely reviewed or updated.

Contrapuntally to a recent argument, I applaud this statement. It says (to
me) "If a style guide is dun right, she'll be right for yonks." which is an
excellent argument for developing a style guide early then sticking to it.

> Granted, ISO made some people take certain steps to verify the content of
their pubs... And, I was doing all this before ISO came onto the scene.

Exactedly. Yet again you point out the obvious value. It mandates practices
that SHOULD be in place anyway. Ideally, you are already performing the
basic premises anyway. How many documents do you have? What are their names?
What was the last time you reviewed them? If you don't know these answers
then you do not have any control over your documents as you don't even know
what they are or where they are.

I am NOT saying you HAVE TO HAVE ISO processes in place to run a Q dept. I
am saying they do promote such though...
(caveat: when implemented correctly)

Now, your specious argument regarding style guides of 20 years ago not being
valid today. Yes, well done, we have a nhew media, which came about in the
last 20 years. For the first time we have liquid displays and folks is
running to address this. So we see the first substantative updates in many
industry style manuals in a long time.

However, CMS books still look like CMS books and that style HASNT changed in
20 years.

The style guide benefits two classes of document user more than the tech
writer:

Non-writers - can confidently produce material adhering to the corporate
look and feel

Users - have consistent presentation. Cummon, the installation guide uses
one format to display stuff for you to type in and the user guide uses
another. Can this possibly HELP the user experience? No - whereas
consistancy can.

The underlying attitude on a number of occasions seems to be that the ISO
mob did this on their own backs - invented some piece of self-promotional
out of sheer thin air and mandated it to the world. This couldn't be more
incorrect.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)