RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:14:56 -0800 (PST)

Ranty ranty....

"Steve Hudson" wrote...

> Andrew - to take the complete obverse argument from you - do you
HONESTLY
> believe that employing ad hoc processes as the status quo is the better
road
> to take?

No. I believe the best road to take is one that develops slowly,
prudently, and realistically out of experience. That will involve the use
of some ad hoc control, some well defined processes, and a the willingness
to change. It usually boils down to people who have open minds,
established skills, and good sense of humor. It also means remaining
steadfast and true to the purpose and goals of a documentation department
- produce quality documentation.

> HOWEVER, this attitude can be taken too far. At some point - given
little /
> no down-time, do you not agree that time needs to be allocated to
> standardising and documenting the required business functions performed
by
> the technical publications department? I feel that the results (known
> processes, with known results over pre-determined periods) far outway
the
> time spent.

Yes. During periods of downtime a group of writers should establish some
ground rules and standards.

> ISO9001 was the end-result of a large number of large companies seeking
> improve their processes through consistant application of solid
principles.
> Obviously you have a much better system and all the standards bodies of
the
> world know jack-all compared to you.

No - I am a realist. I remain 100% grounded in the gritty, depressing
realities of business. One of those realities is that process is a myth.
Its a good idea that helps steer you in the right direction. But it
doesn't answer the phones, sell products, make clients happy, or
revolutionize e-commerce. Process must always help people - flesh and
blood - to do these things better.

Most process is merely something for the process-maker to enjoy. The
people who have to actually carry out those processes don't always like or
use them. Therefore, they aren't very good processes.

> So, how do you guarantee quality? Oh - Mr Plato works on it. Well the
rest
> of us need some sort of auditable proof.

The only think that can guarantee quality is intelligence. Smart,
dedicated people who can make decisions and get the job done will
consistently produce quality results regardless of the environment.

My guarantee for quality: hard work. I'll work until 4am, polish BBs, eat
dandelions...whatever it takes. I don't need a process, I have something
more powerful and more valuable - motivation. While others are obsessing
over working smarter, I am working harder. While they dream up new mice
traps, I've caught all the mice and fed them to some hungry cats. While
they pro-actively leverage their synergies and build best-of-breed
intermediaries, I've taken the contract, closed the deal, made $96,000 in
profit, and bought a new Mercedes for my Dad.

Others ponder, I move. Its not the most elegant method, but it works. And
that's all that matters. Movement, even in the wrong direction, is more
insightful than inactive ponderance.

At the end of the day, I'll slap my quality down on the slab with any big
ISO9000 process.

ISO9000.... just don't even go there. ISO9000 (or whatever its called
these days) is just weapons grade stupidity. I'd like to go back in time
and find the communists in Europe that dropped this giant turd on the
universe and have them flushed away.

ISO9000 merely lets some pencil-necked geek in Europe accept your company
as a supplier. Sheesh, we liberate these toads from the Nazis and what do
they give us in return - ISO9000. Gosh thanks. You can have it back.

:-) Tee hee. Okay, I am getting silly here.

Seriously - standards are fine Steve, just when they work and don't take
longer than the actual job to set up.

Now, get back to work, you. Time to lean, time to clean.

Andrew Plato

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr