Re: Misunderstanding XML

Subject: Re: Misunderstanding XML
From: joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:44:06 -0500

Gwyneth Runnings said:

> Quark Xpress announced over a year ago that Quark 5.0
> was coming and one of the features was publishing
> into XML.
>
> My question - where the heck is it? It was testing
> in beta last spring.

Not knowing how Quark assigns typographic and layout codes to the
publication's elements, I can only guess that mapping Quark's codes to XML
codes is more difficult than they realized.

I can say with certainty that Ventura Publisher's tagging paradigm is based
on SGML, so it should be _relatively_ easy to map those to XML coding.
BUT, life being what it is, I'm equally certain that there are a thousand
little gotchas to be overcome.

And that's the easy part. The program still has to acknowledge a DTD, and
has to cleanly and accurately coordinate the export/import of the
publication's tagged elements and whatever XML tags have been assigned.
And since XML doesn't have a fixed number of tags like HTML; the program
has to be able to accommodate a relatively unlimited number of tags without
confusion.

My guess is that Corel is going to handle this by integrating XMetaL, a
text input and XML tagging engine, with Ventura, a rendering and publishing
engine. I'll leave it to others to speculate how Quark, Frame and InDesign
are going to do it (or not do it, as the case may be).

Joe Miller
Senior Editor
Canberra Industries -- A Cogema Company
Meriden, Connecticut, USA
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr