RE: POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)

Subject: RE: POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:29:50 -0500

<<That's a really good procedure for writing cautions and warnings. However,
first hand experience with users in the field showed (a long time ago) that,
in documents containing cautions and warnings, the users gloss right over
them and ignore them completely. When I asked the users why they ignored
the warnings and cautions, I was told that if we wanted them to read the
warnings and cautions, make them part of the body text not a separate item.>>

I wouldn't think that this is a concern. The procedures are (and should be in
all cases) written in such a way that the proper tools and approach are used.
Warnings and cautions are there to underline dangers to personnel or equipment.

Also add to that, we are writing procedures for railway/transportation equipment
that involve voltages up to 25 kV and weights that can be in tons. Damaging
something during a procedure may cost thousands of dollars. The audience is very
aware that warnings and cautions do not serve as decoration. The procedures are
written so that if followed to the letter no injury should occur. Those that
might stray from procedure do so at their own peril.

When I've given training, I've heard all kinds of stories about what happens
when you don't follow the safety procedures. To get certification to work at one
authority I had to take safety training that included photos of what happens if
you get caught in a rail switch or touch the 600 Vdc third rail. Respect for
procedures and warnings is a little higher in such an environment.

Eric L. Dunn

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr