Job search strategies: the personal marketing/jobhuntin' webpage

Subject: Job search strategies: the personal marketing/jobhuntin' webpage
From: "Jane S." <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:48:54 -0500

I'm again building up a nice not-so-little portfolio on the web, as I have
been having a tough time getting employers to talk to me. I need full-time
work or a plum contract and soon. Last year, when things were easier, I had
a web presence and that might have contributed, or so I hope. The economy
was better then. [At the same time, I rarely approach recruiting companies
because I've only ever been placed by one--and it was a case of either a
not-so-good agency or not-so-good recruiter. And they never pay, no way, no
how, travel expenses.]

Anyway, OT: I'm having a brainfreeze on what the possibilities for this
space could be, and how to promote it so that it can do some work for me.
Realistically speaking, aside from Monster and HotJobs, do employers ever go
out there and find out who's available and contact them from their profile
pages on services like ours, or through search engines? For instance, try
this search on Google: technical writer resume <your city>.

Where I have noticed people putting their personal URLs on their postings to
this group, I've usually seen a nicely-laid-out resume. Have you ever seen,
or created, a personal site that pushed the envelope:
-that made you stand out to employers and recruiters seeking resumes and
samples
-that helped get attention for jobs that aren't necessarily the usual fare
-that you could use for different jobs such as business analysis or software
usability design
-that people could, with a little more effort on your part, visit for
reference if they needed help of a certain kind
-any other possibilities?

Hmmmm....maybe those of us that have these pages could start or join a
webring of like sites.

BTW, I'd like to say to Eric and Deborah that this News group feature on

Jane S.
No man is a Three-Mile Island.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr