RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: APEERY -at- FAMILYDOLLAR -dot- COM
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:18:16 -0500

A theory for your delectation:

<rank speculation>
I think these are two aspects of the same phenomenon: linguistic
self-aggrandizement. I think we all do this to some extent. (Note my use
of "self-aggrandizement"!) The "priests", those with extensive knowledge of
language, wield their vocabulary partly with an eye to being impressive,
even if unconsciously. The "laity", those without well-developed language
skills, try to achieve the same effect by coining new words. Still others,
hearing the neologism, can't wait to unleash it at their next board meeting.
Sure, sometimes they come off like Don King, and end up looking ridiculous.
But sometimes they force even the best of us to mutter, 'I've never heard
that word...better get my dictionary.' And in those few moments before we
look the word up, perhaps we are, if not impressed, at least prepared to be
impressed, by the other's knowledge. :)
</rank speculation>

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr