Re: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: Re: Software Text Incorrect
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:34:15 -0700

> If there is a misspelled word (of course this could apply to crazy
> programmer abbreviations) on the software screen, would you show the
> field name or term in your documentation the way it is represented in
> the software?

I am shocked that a company would actually let software screens
go out with typos. Whatever happened to QA?

Because I am one of those tech writers that actually USES the
software while documenting it <oooh, aaaah>, one of the things I
do during testing is point out misspellings, inconsistencies, and
terms the developer has used that are out of the ordinary. These
issues go into our bug database and are resolved before the
product ever ships. Our developers know that they might not have
the best spelling skills, but they take pride in their work, don't want
to look like a bunch of idiots, and will fix anything that I (or
others...) point out.

Half the time I can't figure out if I work in La La Land or if many of
you work for dodos.

Dana W.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr