Re: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: Re: Software Text Incorrect
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:06:04 -0600

>If there is a misspelled word (of course this could apply to crazy
>programmer abbreviations) on the software screen, would you show the field
>name or term in your documentation the way it is represented in the
>software?

The standard line is "document what is" so, following that, you should
document it as misspelled.

However, if the misspelling is something that is a trivial matter to be
corrected, when version x.01 of the software ships it will be corrected,
and if the manuals don't go through a revision at the same time, now it's
the manual that looks sloppy.

I declare it to be a judgement call (yours, that is). If the typo is
obvious enough ("hte field" rather than "the field" or something similar)
put the right spelling in the book and let the typo pass without comment.
The more likely it is to cause confusion, the more likely it should be
documented as the typo it is.

It's your audience; use your knowledge of them. Yes, there's a bunch of
idiots out there who will complain because their keyboard doesn't have an
"any" key. But don't let them become your obsession; if they weren't
complaining about that it'd be something else.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr