Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?

Subject: Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:54:19 -0800

"1. If you have a staff position, do you have a budget for books you can
purchase? How much is it?"

N/A. I'm a contractor more often than not.

"2. What topics do you like to purchase technical books about?"

Linux, typography, XML, Perl, and other programming languages are my current interests. Ask in six months,and the list will probably change a little.

"3. Do you find it unnecessary to purchase technical books with so much information available online?"

No. Information may be on-line, but it's rarely all in one place. If anything, there's often too much information on-line, almost all of it poorly referenced. In many cases, a book is the quickest way to find the information that I need.

"4. How much do you spend personally on technical books per year?"

I used to spend about $2000. Now, it's considerably less. I'm on several lists to receive review copies, and I sometimes get contributor's copies of Linux magazines, which keep the expenses down. The review copies have a serendiptious way of arriving just when I need them, too. Last spring, for instance, I was just lamenting the lack of coverage of the Debian package system in O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell" when I received my reviewer's copy of the third edition, which was expanded to cover the topic.

"The gates of hell are guarded by a pair of vicious dogs,
And Hannibal was thwarted by some flaming Roman hogs
Me, I was defeated by the ferry schedule
Now I'm standing on the dockside in twenty pounds of sopping wool."
-James Keelaghan, "Departure Bay"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr