RE: Production cycle knowledge

Subject: RE: Production cycle knowledge
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:17:23 -0500

Rowena,

Interesting that within the year we have started to do exactly as you said -
integrate into build cycles.

While its necessary to do these things, I don't think there is a class you
can take ... it almost has to be learned on the job. The concepts behind
systems management and such can be learned in a class, but the specifics are
too closely tied to one place of business to be generally taught.

That said, it takes someone with a technical bent to assume this task. In my
case, one of my writers loves the nuts and bolts of the details of systems -
she writes the Installation Guide which is full of similar types of details,
setup procedures, database scripts, and the like.

While this is a good thing now, I foresee much tighter integration with
software development when we move to an XML architecture in the next year or
so. My goal there is to actually embed the documentation into the program
files. Wish me luck! And to do this, we will take some XML courses and so
forth, but we will get most of the information we need to do this from our
own developers - as we design the future structure of our application, we'll
also design in the documentation structure needed to support it, then we'll
get some coaching from our developers on how to use the tools we'll need,
and the process we'll have to follow.

My 2¢,

John

John Garison