Re: Freelance Ethical Dilemma...

Subject: Re: Freelance Ethical Dilemma...
From: "Charles E. Vermette" <vermette -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:46:52 -0500

Emily wrote:

<<<From time to time, I do freelance tech writing/marketing writing for
a small
software company, and I've been working with them for about a year. Very
recently, they decided to hire someone to work on their marketing
communications fully. They hired the right person - I think she's great.
She's my new contact there and my tech writing work will be filtered
through
her, which is working very well.

However, I've been getting calls from my previous contact there, asking
me
to work on projects which are firmly in their marketing writer's
territory
and capabilities. I know that he's asking me because I'm well acquainted
with their software, and because we work well together - but I think he
ought to be working with the in house marketing writer on these pieces.
What's more, I think he knows it, too, because he's been calling me at
strange times to set this up, and trying to slip marketing stuff in when
I'm
formally there for tech writing stuff. If I was the marketing writer,
and I
was aware of this runaround, I wouldn't be happy, and I want to have a
good
working relationship with her...>>>

Emily, I've run into this *often.* These kinds of situations are
actually "backhand compliments." It means that you are very good and
very reliable, and thought of as an essential part of the team. However,
you're right to be very concerned.

I imply from what you've said that it was made clear that a.) the
marketing writer is your new contact, and b.) your client company has
fundamentally changed their documentation flow. (since they added the
marketing writer and tech writing goes through her.) If this has been
stated specifically (i.e., in a memo or e-mail) than your old contact's
behavior is *very* unprofessional. If it has not been stated
specifically, than your client company has a management/communication
problem.

My suggestion (and it's only that) is *not* to have a meeting. Simply
send a follow up e-mail regarding one of your former contact's
"projects" and CC your new contact. Explain that, wanting to have a good
relationship with *both*, you want to make sure they are both in the
loop with *all* of your activities.. The following will then happen:

* If there is a genuine misunderstanding, it can be resolved between the
two of them. (as it should be.)
* If you're old contact is playing games (and I think he is,) the grit
will hit the fan (and should.) Either he'll get reamed, or he'll no
longer use you to end around the marketing director.

In either case, you will not have to waste billable time as a referee
(which I strongly feel you shouldn't be doing.) and you will be putting
the ball in their court as to how to handle it (which SHOULD be the
case.) I should also add that if there's no malicious intention, they
can work out a solution and *then* meet with you if need be. If there's
gamesmanship at play, your current contact will be *hindered* by your
presence in a meeting.

My thoughts. Feel free to contact me off-line.

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive
Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
vermette -at- concentric -dot- net
http://www.concentric.net/~vermette

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr