RE: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event

Subject: RE: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event
From: "Gordon Graham" <gordon -at- gordonandgordon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:08:08 -0500

I feel that a contractor should happily go to such events, and use them to
build their network with their colleagues.
The only possible reason not to go would be if you have some pressing
engagement like a brain scan scheduled at the same time. Or if they go to
some place that you have strong feelings against, like a strip club or
something.

No way you can charge the client for that time!! If someone from the company
picks up the tab, so much the better.

You mention "political reasons" as though it's a bad thing. I suggest
changing your perspective... sure we all love to avoid office politics, but
don't be a grinch... your network is your lifeline. Perhaps it would be more
palatable if you consider the connections you make at these events important
assets to your business.

Gordon Graham, partner
Gordon & Gordon
(514) 488-1875