RE: tech writing curriculum + tools

Subject: RE: tech writing curriculum + tools
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:40:00 -0000

Whether you regard what we do as profession (as doctors etc), a trade
(plumber etc) or a mix of the two, tools are part of the package and
need to be included in the curriculum. They should not, however, be the
main focus. For example, my father was a carpenter and as part of his
apprenticeship he was taught how to DO - make and hang doors, windows,
lay floors etc. He was also taught HOW to use the tools - how to use a
hammer, chisel, saw etc and there is a skill to doing it well. Included
in this was choosing the best tool for the job. Over the years the tools
have changed and some are even now redundant (he had a set of planes for
making skirting boards - just buy it pre-planed now) but the HOW TO DO
knowledge hasn't changed substantially at all.

It's the same with writers - we need to know the tools but, assuming
we're reasonably good at our jobs, once we're familiar with a DTP
package, a graphics package, etc any others we come across should be
fairly easy to pick up and use to do what we're paid to do - produce
documents (in whatever form).

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.