RE: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event

Subject: RE: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:03:59 -0000

>As a freelancer, I charge by the hour. What is proper to do when your
>client takes the doc team out to celebrate a finished project or for
>someone's birthday? And you are expected to go (for political reasons). (I
>normally brown bag at my desk). Do you charge for the time since you are
>expected to be there? Does it matter if the company picks up the tab or
not?
>No flames please...I'd just like perspectives.

I sympathise. I hate mandatory social events. But yes, I'd go - unless you
can provide some rock solid reason why you *can't* - sit through it with a
smile, exercising your charm and wit to make your colleagues realise how
you're the best thing since garlic bread*, and no, don't bill the company
for the time you're at lunch. (You can do this if your manager tells you to
go off and have lunch with the client and do an informal
interview/appraisal... but even then, I would check casually with the
manager "Is that lunch you asked me to have with So-and-so billable time?"
and if s/he says no, don't push it, unless it starts to happen regularly.)

Sometimes for the sake of creating a good atmosphere it is necessary to
pretend you are having a good time.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

*Sliced bread? SLICED bread? Nah. Real crusty garlicky Italian bread. Yum.