Linux at work (real world), take II

Subject: Linux at work (real world), take II
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:12:00 -0500

Kevin McLauchlan replied to my response re. Linux:

< < No offense, but most of what you brought up are non-issues. >>

None taken. If that's the case, then I refer you to the excellent advice
from Eric Ray and others, who have more direct firsthand experience with
Linux and its application software.

<<The IT crew say that the only reason pretty-well ALL of our servers are
not Linux is that we are running a lot of MS-specific server-based stuff
right now. Otherwise, they are more than happy with the stability of Linux
and quite willing to roll it out onto our company desktops.>>

If they already have experience with the OS, and are running it well, then
obviously the "learning curve" issues go away. In fact, everyone's life will
probably get better if the IT crew only have one OS to support, since they
can concentrate on becoming full experts in Linux rather than semi-experts
in Linux and semi-experts in NT.

<<users are protected by standardized rollouts and packaged
installations/updates.>>

Wish out IT guy was this clued in; as it is, he spends half a day or more
reinstalling software each time someone's hard disk dies or someone orders a
new computer. Don't ask. <g>

<<Finally, the point of the exercise would be to no longer have to support
or upgrade Windows>>

A laudable goal indeed. Best of luck!

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Computers are like Old Testament gods-lots of rules and no mercy."--Joseph
Campbell