Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME

Subject: Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 21 Nov 2001 09:30:37 -0500

Ed,

Check out compatibility at the Linux Hardware Database at
http://lhd.datapower.com/.

My email client, Evolution from Ximian, claims it supports Palm device
synching, but I've never tried it (I prefer paper calendars, call me old
fashioned :). See
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/features.html for a
little more information.

The digital camera may be a little tricky. Check the LHD, above. I have
gphoto installed. More information is available at
http://www.gphoto.org/info.html. Their site says they support 105+ types
of cameras.

I haven't gotten my CD-RW working yet (more out of laziness) but I
maintain a dual boot machine at home. On the somewhat rare ocassions
when I need to burn a CD, I boot into Windows and run the CD software
from there.

Most sound cards work out ok. Especially just about anything from
SoundBlaster. Again, check the LHD. My sound card at the office just
isn't compatible...no driver exists at this time. This is a cheap piece
of HW, tho, so if I really wanted it, I'd go buy a new one.

On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 17:33, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> Ed -dot- Hawco -at- acecomm -dot- com wrote:
>
> >My question, then: If I install Linux (such as RedHat) on my machine at
> >home, will it be able to work with my:
> >
> >- Epson inkjet printer
> >- scanner
> >- digital camera
> >- ZIP drive
> >- CD R/RW
> >- DVD-ROM
> >- sound card
> >- Palm handheld

[snip some great comments from Bruce]

Good luck!

Meg
--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
-- Timothy Leary