RE: Does anyone know of a way to insert a Page Break in a HTML do cument?

Subject: RE: Does anyone know of a way to insert a Page Break in a HTML do cument?
From: "Jochim, Rainer 3139 PPE-QA2" <Rainer -dot- Jochim -at- de -dot- heidelberg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:35:15 +0100

For the w3c recommendation refer to:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cover.html

For Microsoft's implementation refer to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/css/refer
ence/attributes.asp

Defining the page break property in an external css will effect all tags of
that kind within the html document. E.g. if you add the "page-break-before:
always" property to third level headings (h3) ALL third level headings will
start on a new printed page.
(If the browser supports this function.)

Adding a style to only one occurrence of a tag within the html document lets
you tweak the document much more.
(It might though be a bit cumbersome with generated documents. You'd have to
remember where you did what each time the document is regnerated from the
database or from another source. ;-)

Another option to selectively assign properties is defining a "class". Then
you could assign this class to any paragraph where you need it.
Let's say you define a class "PB" in the the stylesheet:
.PB {page-break-before: always;}
Then you could assign this class to paragraphs <p class="PB"> or to any
hierarchy level of headings <h1 class="PB">, <h2 class="PB">.

Regards
Rainer

[...]