Subject: Summary: Most Important Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program
From: Carol Anne Wall <writeandteach -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:35:14 -0800 (PST)

In October, I asked this group "What is the most
important skill to learn in a Technical Communication
program?"

I had 33 responses to the question, and much more
discussion-based mail on the topic. Most messages
mentioned more than one "most important skill", so I
decided to use all responses generated. Naturally,
the percentages will total more than one hundred
percent.

33.33% Writing skills
27.30% Technical aptitude (includes technology,
programming, math/science)
27.30% Knowledge acquisition
18.20% Communication skills (verbal, auditory)
12.10% Teamwork
12.10% Audience analysis
12.10% Adaptability
12.10% Research skills
09.10% Tool knowledge
06.10% Thick skin
06.10% Political skills (office politics)
03.00% Grammar skills
03.00% Usability testing skills
03.00% Ergonomics
03.00% Think/act independently

When this question was asked of a panel at an STC
regional conference I attended recently, the response
from the panel was: teamwork and grammar. That's why
I was inspired to ask the question of this group.

Thank you very much to those of you who participated
in my survey. I will be using this information in a
paper for my graduate tech comm theory course. My
prof (also the Tech Comm program head)is very
interested in the results of my survey!

Thanks again!

Carol Anne Wall
Technical Writer - MN Life Ins. Co.