RE: merging pdf's

Subject: RE: merging pdf's
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:38:13 -0000

After skimming the other answers, I don't think this has been covered. In
your installation directory of Acrobat (in my case, Acrobat 5.0), navigate
to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\Xtras.
In that directory, there's a PS file called RUNFILEX.PS. This actually
combines PostScript files, not exactly what you wanted, but this might be a
sound alternative. I've included the contents of this file below. Hope that
helps. Thanks. DB.

%!
% PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files.
% When embedding font subsets, it is highly recommended you use this
technique
% to distill multiple PS files so only one font subset is used for each
font.

/prun { /mysave save def % Performs a save before running the PS file
dup = flush % Shows name of PS file being run
RunFile % Calls built in Distiller procedure
clear cleardictstack % Cleans up after PS file
mysave restore % Restores save level
} def

(Macintosh HD:Folder:Cover.ps) prun
(Macintosh HD:Folder:TOC.ps) prun
(Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter1.ps) prun
(Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter2.ps) prun
(Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter3.ps) prun
(Macintosh HD:Folder:Index.ps) prun

% INSTRUCTIONS
%
% 1. Locate all PostScript files to be distilled.
%
% 2. Make a copy of this file and give it the name you want to have as the
prefix
% for the resulting file. For example, you could name this file
MyBook.ps.
%
% 3. Include a line for each PostScript file to be run using the pathname
syntax
% appropriate for the platform running Acrobat Distiller.
%
% Macintosh pathname syntax: (Macintosh HD:Folder:File.ps) prun
% Windows pathname syntax: (c:/mydir/file.ps) prun
% UNIX pathname syntax: (./mydir/File.ps) prun
%
% Note: The syntax for Windows may look strange, but double escaping
the
% backslash character is required when using filenameforall.
%
% 4. Distill the file on the machine running Acrobat Distiller.