RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:00:12 -0500

Bryan wrote:

> I'm not morally opposed to porn (though there is quite a lot of
> it that I don't find attractive at all), but I would not work for
> a pornography because I would not want that name on my resume to
> be seen by future prospects who might have a problem with it.

One time my husband and I saw a spot on 60 Minutes or some such show about
writers at the National Enquirer. Turns out many of them graduated from
excellent universities, and have journalism degrees. The National Enquirer
pays them very handsomely, though, because as they admit, once the writer
works there, he or she will have a pretty hard time finding work as a
journalist anywhere else.

Not long after that, my husband had the opportunity to interview for a
marketing writing position at a local company that creates and markets
pornography and sexual education material for adults. He spent a while
considering it, but remembering that piece made him decide against going for
the interview. (Maybe that and having to tell his mom where he worked? ;-)

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.