Re: Web Applications

Subject: Re: Web Applications
From: Sarah Kampman <skampman -at- acornsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:35:03 -0600

<<Does anyone have any experience with writing for web applications and how they differ from software applications?>>

Hi-

Yep, I've been doing that for about two years now, as an editor and writer... The other post I saw apparently has had bad experiences with web app development. I haven't had the same experience--the development groups I've worked with have been committed (more or less) to producing a spec'd-out, carefully developed, and well-tested application...with only one significant exception, apps had some last-minute changes, but no more than on a regular desktop app.

So, web-app specific tips/observations for documentation?

-- As the other poster mentioned, you'll probably be producing online help (possibly instead of print, but most likely at least as the primary doc) -- I recommend (RoboHelp's) WebHelp because it's already in .htm format and is easily integrated & made context-sensitive. If the "web app" you're documenting is a Java/Swing app, you might also consider JavaHelp, but I think I've heard rumors that JavaHelp has limitations that WebHelp does not. FWIW, I've successfully integrated WebHelp with Swing apps, so it can be done.

-- Make sure the developers decide *early* which platforms & browsers will be supported, and make sure you use the app on as many browsers (if not platforms, too, esp if they're as different as W2K and Mac) as possible. Things will look a little different, but that's very easily taken care of with one or more notes saying so and explaining any important differences. I suspect that users are familiar with the display differences (esp Mac users) and won't worry about this one too much.

-- Encourage the developers to develop the UI first, then plug the functionality behind it. This is (objectively, though if they don't wanna, they'll tell you otherwise) easy for them to do, and it also goes over well with managers and demo-givers, who are pleased to see at least *something* they can play with. You can also imagine how much this will help you get started. Failing this, get them to at least get a portion of the app completely working before moving onto the next thing. I speak from recent experience on this--although development on one of the products I have to document is coming along well, there is nothing at all to show for it yet, because they've left the UI to last. Argh.

-- Get familiar/knowledgeable with the web technologies. They're (really and truly) pretty easy to learn at a "familiarity" level, and the developers will appreciate your attempt and the added value you provide in testing and feedback. I'm also always a lot more comfortable suggesting UI changes when I know how easy they are to make--and if I can do them myself, so much the better!

-- Provide a Help stub (and regular updates) to your developers early in the process, so that Help is integrated seamlessly and context-sensitive-ly ... I've found no resistance to this whatsoever...I guess I've been lucky, but it's been my experience so far that developers are thrilled to have "real, live documentation" for their applications...they (rightly, I think) believe that the doc makes the app more professional, usable, and complete. So don't be shy about it!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head....Good luck!

-Sarah

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr