RE Providing editable docs to clients

Subject: RE Providing editable docs to clients
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:33:02 -0800

Steve Shepard" <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com> wrote
We develop property management and accounting software for ... clients [that] manage millions of square feet of office space, retail space, residential units, etc.

Occasionally we get requests from clients for our docs to be provided to them in Word format so they can customize them for their particular workflow. I am resistant to this for several reasons:

Andrew Plato Wrote:

I think you should provide the docs to clients. And if they want to
butcher them, that is absolutely their right. They are licensing the
software from you, and the software includes the docs - therefore, they
have a license to the docs.
If a client asks for raw documentation, tell them you can provide it in
FrameMaker format and that its their problem from that point forward.

I agree to a point. You need to review your sales and licensing agreements. Do you sell them the software outright, or lease it to them? You cannot change something you don't own unless you have the owner's permission. If you sold them the program, then you probably also sold them at least finished docs for each product they purchased. If this is the case, then create another sales agreement defining what you are selling and the terms of the sale--"raw docs that you can butcher at your leisure for mega bucks." If you leased the program, then rewrite the lease agreement. Include some form of clause stating that you cannot be held responsible for the information once it has been modified. If they want it in WORD format. Do it and charge them for the conversion cost, or turn them on to a consulting firm that can do it for them.

Andrew Plato wrote:

Lastly, the customer is always right. If they want something and your
company truly cares about your customers, then you should do whatever is
reasonable to accommidate their requests.
On this I have to partially disagree. The customer is not ALWAYS right, but he is right in saying that you need to work with your customers and not against them, unless you want them to go to your competitor. Show them that you're flexible. Get creative. "You're wrong Mr. Customer, but here's how we can make it work."

--
Al Geist, Geist Associates
Business Support -Technical Writing, Publishing, Video, Web

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr