Re: Ethics and drug tests

Subject: Re: Ethics and drug tests
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:41:28 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

And don't give me the "well what does this have to do with the quality of
my work." It has a lot to do with your fitting in with a team. Hiring
people is not as simple as matching requirements to skills. Part of any
decent HR hiring procedure is finding out what a person is like and
deciding if they will fit into the team.
You'll notice that the complaints about drug-tests rarely come from drug-users (or, possibly, they simply don't want to identify themselves publicly as such). Instead, they usually come from a civil rights advocates.

Even though drug-tests are very rare in Canada, I can see their point. Nobody denies that employers have the right to use a number of different criteria in hiring. But the issue seems to be how much control employers should have over employee's lives. In an industry in which many companies frown at people who insist on giving their families equal or greater priorities, the concern is understandable. I mean, how long before disloyalty to your employer is a crime?
Anyway, I suspect that there must be a lot of middle-class drug-users successfully evading the tests. Maybe there's a black market for urine samples? After all, if drug abuse is only a problem among the homeless, then drugs wouldn't be the multi-billion dollar industry that it's supposed to be - not unless there were a lot more robberies and B and Es than there are.
;->

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed: head over heels all over the wall,
Humpty Dumpty was pushed: nobody noticed at all,
And all the king's horses and all the king's men
Gathered round Humpty and kicked him again;
And they called for a priest and a couple of friends,
And they all stood around and chanted, Amen."
-Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr