Mac Preview, PDF and Font Problems

Subject: Mac Preview, PDF and Font Problems
From: "kandis" <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:42:26 -0500

Hello All,

Been awhile since I've been on-list. Quite busy around here, I can barely
lurk. But here I am, de-lurking momentarily for a question that I hope some
kind soul can help me with.

A great deal of our users run Mac OS X and we've found a tricky problem with
PDFs on this platform.

Preview is the default PDF viewer on Mac OS X; it's installed with the
system. It's not really the best software for viewing PDFs (no bookmarks, no
hyperlinks), but we have to consider that our users may not install Acrobat
Reader - heck! why install another piece of software on your system when you
don't have to.

The problem is fonts (isn't it always!). All of the bullets in our PDFs are
replaced with the ugliest and most annoying symbols. All the best font
embedding options don't appear to fix this problem.

Does anybody have any experience with preparing PDFs for Mac Preview or know
how this silly software works so that I can prepare PDFs that look all
pretty and smart?

Thanks!
Kandis

--