Re: Network Security Article Clarification

Subject: Re: Network Security Article Clarification
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 17:28:41 -0800 (PST)

"Tracy Boyington" wrote...

> "Could it be," Andrew pondered, "that I might have written this in a
> different way? A way that really made the distinction clear?" And as the
> clouds over his head parted, a shining beam of light struck Andrew's
> noggin and he suddenly realized that it's not enough to simply *know*
> everything, you have to know *how to write it*. And that perhaps - dare
> I say it? - a process, such as one that included a review by his dearest
> nitpicky geek friends, could have prevented this tragedy. I hear his
> heart grew three sizes that day. ;-)

My nitpicky geek friends did edit it before hand as did Deborah Ray (thank
you Deb). So there was a "process" at work here.

However, last night I had a debate with some of those nitpicky geek
friends over "what is an IDS." It made me realize that my article was not
100% technically accurate. Although conceptually sound, it attributed a
feature to products that don't have it.

Proof that process cannot make perfection.

Now, I could have been a complete Grinch and said nothing and acted like I
was right. But I decided to reveal my error and clarify because its the
right thing to do.

And my reward for admitting my mistakes: I get called names. Wheee.

I used to work with a guy who said, "You learn the most when you screw up
(and admit it). You learn nothing when you think you're right."

Andrew Plato

http://greetings.yahoo.com