RE: terminology for child window

Subject: RE: terminology for child window
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:46:52 -0500

Douglas Bailey suggested:

> Pop-up window?

I think this might mean something different or more specific to some users
(eg, on the Mac side). I'm not sure, though. It might be that "nuance"
thing Andrew mentioned.

Secondary window works for me, but I'd rather name it by function: The
Wibbler Control Window, or some such.

This is where writing API documentation can be more straightforward. No
matter how unintuitive the terms are to you, your end user (a developer)
knows exactly what they mean. Of course, the challenge here is to
understand them yourself, well enough to use them properly in a sentence,
but not so well that the Dark Side seduces you into thinking you're Darth
Dilbert.

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

Do not meddle in the affairs of technical writers, for ... aww, heck. Just
don't do it. We know where the engineers hide the power tools, and we
actually read the manuals. Respect us, fear us, or learn what a Dremel can
*really* do.