being seen

Subject: being seen
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:04:35 -0800

Something unexpected happened to me yesterday. At the end of
a long day spent with two SMEs, in which I sat in on a walkthrough
of a class on the company's new methodology, one of them turned
to me. He told me he hadn't worked with many technical writers,
and he had a question for me.

He asked, "do all technical writers go out of their way to learn as much
about the technology as you do?" I stopped for a second and replied,
"the good ones do." I told him I can't write credibly about something
unless I understand it myself.

It's comments like this that make asking all those annoying questions
worthwhile. I let him know how much I appreciated that he recognized
why I'd asked all those annoying questions all day.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"We must become the change we want to see in the world."
--Gandhi

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr