RE: converting word to html

Subject: RE: converting word to html
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:54:50 -0000

One point, which may or may be not applicable for your scenario. If your
non-technical types want their HTML to be portable, they should obtain a
plug-in from the MS site which allows then to generate vanilla (I think MS
calls it "plain") HTML. I believe the plug-in is at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q291/3/25.ASP. Otherwise
they'll make nasty HTML with lots and lots of MS Office dreck in it.

If anyone's using MS Word 2002, they can save to "Filtered HTML". Despite
the fact that the Word help system says: "this feature is only recommended
for experienced Web authors who are concerned about the tags that appear in
their HTML files" I'm sure you're better off with it. The Help system goes
on to confess the following:

"When possible, you should only save a Web page in filtered HTML (filtered
HTML: Saving in the Web Page, Filtered format removes Microsoft
Office-specific tags. If you save in filtered HTML, and then reopen the file
in Office programs, text and general appearance will be preserved, but some
features may work differently.) when you're finished editing it in Microsoft
Word."

Thanks. DB.