re: certificates and the current job market

Subject: re: certificates and the current job market
From: "Jim Lowry" <lowry_j -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 23:54:56 -0500

Hi Ellen,

I'm just finishing up a 12 week (Sats. 9-6) certificate in "data-base driven websites,? using technologies like perl, cgi, asp, and cold fusion to access dbs like oracle, mySQL, Access, etc.. This class was mainly programming, and though it did make "involve considerable demands" (i.e., it really kicked my butt) and cost a fair penny, I'm very glad I decided to take it, as opposed to a web design kind of class - mainly for the reason others have mentioned: in any profession, I think it sometimes helps to keep to the less-populated stretches of "the curve."

Although I don't believe I am going to become a web developer per se, I feel much more informed technically, and this helps me in holding my own in dealing with the techies and on interviews. Therefore, as someone kindly advised me in this forum some months ago, I would recommend concentrating on the more "meaty" stuff - the current technologies, as opposed to the tools of technical writing.

Having said all of the above, in the spirit of truth in advertising, I must admit to recently having had to take a _very_ generic technical writing assignment recently (main tool: WORD 97!) on account of the sucky employment env. in New York (lost my previous job due to 9/11). Still, I'm very glad to have gone with my choice of certificate program. Now, if I can just get my Cold Fusion project in by next Saturday . . .

Jim Lowry

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr