RE: Why use screen shots at all? [WAS Survey: "Screen shots"]

Subject: RE: Why use screen shots at all? [WAS Survey: "Screen shots"]
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:36:08 -0500

Well, the short answer is that Customer Support
(the after-it's-sold people) and Customer Engineering
(the before-it's-sold people) both asked for
screen views in docs.

People making buying decisions seem to want to see
that kind of fluff in documents that accompany the
product (even though they won't likely be the actual
installers or users...).

People who are very visually oriented and skimmers
of instructions, or people who are thrown into a
task for which they don't feel prepared, seem to prefer
visual aids as anchor points, and visual reassurance
that they've "done the right things, so far".

My early stuff for this company was practically
illustration-free. Most developers were ok with
that. But we also have end-user customers... who were not.

/kevin

[snip]

> In online doc, most screen captures are a total waste of space.

[snip]