Re: indexing for FrameMaker

Subject: Re: indexing for FrameMaker
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:32:46 -0600

Another part of my company is hiring a consultant professional indexer to
index some docs. The docs are FM. The indexer does not know how to use FM
and wants to produce ASCII.

Another part of my company is hiring a consultant to index some docs. The
docs are FM. The indexer does not know how to use FM and wants to produce
ASCII.

Any way to speed this up if the index terms are identified outside of
FrameMaker?

Getting another copy of IXgen for the purpose is certainly doable. Getting
the consultant to use FrameMaker is not doable.

Thoughts on how to integrate a list of index entries produced in ASCII by a
consultant into a FrameMaker book smoothly and efficiently?

It would seem to me that the consultant would do the indexing in FM if they wanted the job. As you say you would provide IXgen.

They don't have to know much about FM to do what you want. You aren't asking them to write or design a template for FM after all.

Scott

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr