Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias

Subject: Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias
From: "Larisa Grujic" <Grujicl -at- ceu -dot- hu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:29:49 +0100

Hello.

______________________________
Larisa Grujic, Research Assistant
Department of Environmental Sciences & Policy
Central European University
Nador u. 9, 1051 Budapest, Hungary
http://matisse.ceu.hu/departs/envsci/
______________________________

>>> <AnilaA -at- ibsplc -dot- com> 12/13/01 10:16AM >>>
>Which one of the following would you prefer?

> Anyone who wishes to avail of this facility should bring his ID
> card.......
> Anyone who wishes to avail of this facility should bring his/her >ID
> card.......
> All who wish to avail of this facility should bring their ID
> cards.......
> One who wishes to avail of this facility should bring one's ID
> card.......

I prefer the third one, because it sounds good. The second and fourth are too awkward.

>Isn't it incorrect to say "Anyone/Everyone who wishes to to >avail of
>this facility
>should bring their ...........")

It is incorrect, but I like it and use it if I am allowed. Incorrect, but compromising, understandable, and simple... Somehow I prefer reading this than he/she or one.

Cheers,

Larisa