RE: Linking Excel sheets in Word?

Subject: RE: Linking Excel sheets in Word?
From: "Roy, Gary" <RoyG -at- hydroaire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:16:11 -0800

Alex,

I suggest creating the spreadsheets in Excel and linking them in Word.
Chances are if the user has Word, they also have access to Excel. This can
be done as follows:

(1) Embedded Spreadsheet in Word: Insert >>> Object >>> (Create New) Excel
Worksheet; or
(2) Linked Spreadsheet in Word: Insert >>> Object >>> (Create From File) >>>
filename.xls (Select "Link to file").

Option (1) allows the user to modify the spreadsheet in Word. In Option (2)
the file is modified in each "filename.xls" Excel file, which will open when
you double-click on the spreadsheet placeholder in Word. I prefer Option 2.
It will be easier to create cell formulas that are linked between
spreadsheets using Option (2).

As a suggestion, the document architecture can be arranged in this manner
(use as many multiples of the Word documents as necessary):

Word Document 1
Excel Spreadsheet 1A - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet 1B - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet 1C - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet TOTAL 1 (linked summary of 1A, 1B, and 1C)

Word Document 2
Excel Spreadsheet 2A - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet 2B - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet 2C - (expenses, hours etc.)
Excel Spreadsheet TOTAL 2 (linked summary of 2A, 2B, and 2C)

Word Document 3
Excel Spreadsheet GRANDTOTAL (linked summary of TOTAL 1 and TOTAL 2)

I hope this helps.

Gary Roy
Crane Aerospace
3000 Winona Avenue
Burbank, California
USA 91510

Tel.: 818.526.2600 ext. 3253
Fax: 818.842.6117

----------------------
Alex Silbajoris Wrote:

I am attempting to solve a problem for someone, involving Excel sheets in a
Word document. The documents are job proposals, with several sections, and
the Excel sheets tally up various expenses, hours, etc., throughout the
document. I was asked whether it is possible to link the sheets within the
Word dcoument, so their totals would tally up in one grand total sheet.

I'm not very proficient in Excel, but I assume that, as one file can have
several sheets, it is possible to total them all on a summary sheet. But
these users want to populate the tables as they work in Word.

I looked around a few sources, and it seems that the linking feature allows
the user in Word to link to sheets in an Excel file. So I'm betting that we

could set up the Excel file to have a grand total sheet, and link to that in

the Word document. The users could work in the Word doc, and update the
linked Excel file - sort of like working in Excel via a back door - and then

the grand total sheet would tally in Excel and update in Word.

I think. We have yet to try it.

But their next question was, is it possible to total up the grand-total
sheets across several files in Word, into one summary Word file?

I found nothing in the Microsoft support sites, nor in this group's
archives. Does anyone have experience working with an objective like this?

Thanks,

- A

This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
http://www.marshalsoftware.com