Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias

Subject: Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:38:41 +1000

I think you can always find an acceptable solution that does not offend anybody's sense of what's "correct" English, but sometimes you need to be fairly creative in your approach.

You might be interested in two articles on my website:

http://www.jeanweber.com/howto/genwrit.htm
http://www.jeanweber.com/howto/neutral.htm

I've also got a revised an updated version appearing on the TECHWR-L site sometime in the new year.

In the specific example in Anila's note, the answer depends a bit on the context... the rest of the document in which the sentence appears. Depending on the context, one solution would be:

If you wish to use this facility, bring your ID card...

Geoff Hart, as usual, has practical and sensible suggestions. Stan Schwartz's suggestions are very good, as are some others. Unfortunately, *some* of the other responses are just plain silly.

And yes, "anyone/everyone" are singular words. Whether "they/their/them" is acceptable as singular is a matter of opinion. Many people do not consider it singular; many others do.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

Anila wrote:

I have often read that one should avoid gender bias in writing. This
would imply the avoidance of "he" and "she". I have also read that
the usage of "he/she" is not really acceptable.
<snip>
I wonder whether it is ALWAYS possible to remain gender neutral and at
the same time, not sound strange. ...
Which one of the following would you prefer?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our alomst 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr