Re: Tech Writing Courses at SFU

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Courses at SFU
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:44:11 -0800

bgoett wrote:

Can any of the Vancouver area subscribers to this list recommend any of the
courses in the Writer's and Publisher's Program at SFU? I've been writing
work instructions for a manufacturer of heavy trucks for the past 7 years
but unfortunately we were bought out by a multi-national that is shutting us
down (and I am out of a job in one week). I want to learn more about other
types of technical writing to improve my employability and skill set.

Unfortunately, courses in this program are aimed at beginners. Somebody with your experience would probably find most of them too basic.
In addition, if the tool courses are the same as they were a few years ago, you'd get the same benefit by working your way through a teach-yourself book. A few years ago, many of these courses consisted of simply going through one of these books chapter by chapter. Of course, you'd need to buy the software to learn it on your own, but that would be an allowable business expense on your taxes.

Of course, you might benefit from an individual course. At the very least, taking a course can motivate you to study more easily than a teach-yourself book. However, shop around. You'll find many of the subjects you'd probably be interested in are taught not only at SFU, but also at UBC, BCIT, Vancouver City College, Vancouver Film School, and Emily Carr. Moreover, the courses at some of these places have the advantage that they are organized by people currently working in the field, as opposed to the out-of-date managers who seem to dominate at SFU.

"No safe house in Birmingham, I found no peace in Skye,
The green fields of Derry were just another lie,
Wrap the barbed wire round me, say I don't belong,
Kick me till I couldn't move, then tell me to move on."
-OysterBand, "The Deserter"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr