RE: Users vs. usage

Subject: RE: Users vs. usage
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:09:38 -0800

Correction -- *some* grammarians throw the comma inside the quotes.
Typically, putting the comma inside the quotes is called American-
style punctuation while putting the comma outside the quotes is
called British-style punctuation. My biggest geek-giggle was when
I read _The_Story_of_English_. Half way through the book the authors
announce that because the focus of language development shifted from
UK to the Americas, they'd now switch from British to American English,
which they did for spelling; but they blithly continued to punctuate
in British style.

Chicago 14 gives both options and points out that British style is often
clearer for technical info.

So, outside. Always.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher