Russia (writing opportunities)

Subject: Russia (writing opportunities)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:41:40 -0500

Harry Thompson reports: <<There is a very strong possibility that I may have
to follow my significant other to Moscow at the end of next year for a
three-year posting. I'd like to know if any of you have any info on the tech
writing possibilities available...>>

No direct information, but some helpful indirect tips: My understanding is
that a lot of American companies are contracting out their programming to
Russian and other former Soviet programmers because of the lower wages, and
this suggests that there may be a good opportunity to work with these
companies or their programmers to document the code that's being produced.
One huge advantage of this approach is that you'll get paid something closer
to North American wage scales than if you worked directly with local
companies, where the wages are quite low. Another good option is to skulk
around the universities looking for researchers who are trying to get their
research published in English peer-reviewed journals; if you've got good
editing skills, you can do the kind of rewriting and critiquing I do with
Japanese authors in the same boat. Unfortunately, budgets at Russian
universities are likely to be too low for you to make a really good wage at
this occupation. If you have good contacts domestically right now, it might
be well worth your while finding out which of them are willing to work with
you via the Internet; this way, you'll keep up your contacts at home (an
investment for when you return) and will get paid North American rates. A
final thought: if your significant other works for a company wealthy enough
to fly them overseas, that company might also be a great place to seek work.
Best of luck!

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

Tarzan's rule of data processing: Never let go of one vine until you have a
solid hold of the next.--Anon.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr