RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum

Subject: RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:18:26 -0500

Sarah Bane said:

>BUT a writing course in a vo-tech curriculum is not intended to equip
>students to seek careers as technical writers. It is to help them
>complete writing tasks that their jobs will entail.

The students in my Intro to TW class at a local university were almost all
from other disciplines. The class was required for their programs, which
ranged from MIS to psychology to urban planning to pre-med.

Making all of these folks take a TW class for the reason Sarah mentions was
a great idea in theory -- too bad the class wasn't actually set up to let
students work on projects applicable to their own fields (as has been
suggested for the theoretical vo-tech class). A true waste of time and money
for most of us, methinks, for that reason and many others (and those who
really needed to improve their basic writing skills didn't get much help in
that respect, either).

Then again, after that experience, I highly doubt that most of those folks
would ever consider becoming TWs...

Meg Ehr

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr