Microsoft Word Editing and Help

Subject: Microsoft Word Editing and Help
From: Steve Lefevers <scl -at- pcisys -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:25:38 -0700

My Email Address is scl -at- pcisys -dot- net

Since a lot of companies require you to use MS Word to prepare, edit, etc.
documentation - I have a few MS Word Questions.

Does anyone know a good Microsoft Word or Office List - that you can post
questions to?

If you're designing a Document in Word that requires tables - doesn't it
make more sense to create the Table in Excel (a much more powerful program)
and then simply import the Excel Table into the Word Document? Is that what
most of you do? It's a lot more hassle to create a Table in Word itself.

For Importing Graphics into MS Word - I've heard SnagIt is a great program.
Has anyone used Snagit or do you prefer another program for this purpose?

What program or Feature do you use to create Screenshots in MS Word?

If you have to initially design a piece of Documentation in MS Word - once
you've done so - can you convert the Word Document to Adobe Acrobat Reader
or Framemaker format?

If so - does this conversion require some special Utility program?

In Technical Writing -what are the most frequently used Formats that Word
Documents are converted to?

What are the most frequently used types of MS Word Templates used by
Technical Writers?

Is there a good - inexpensive or Free Help program I can practice on my home
pc (I can't afford RoboHelp)that is similar in use to RoboHelp? I could
then practice with this cheaper program and then when I have to use RoboHelp
later, the RoboHelp commands and functions will be similar and easier to
pick-up on.

Thanks to all again in advance for your insight.
Have an inspirational, scintillating Christmas Holiday!

Steve