Word DOC, Adobe PDF, and Infoseek Search engine

Subject: Word DOC, Adobe PDF, and Infoseek Search engine
From: " Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 02:35:15 +0800

Hi folks, we've had this problem ever since I've been here, and try as we might I can't find a solution.

We have source Word .doc files, which get PDF'ed and put on a web site that uses the InfoSeek search engine.

Often, the Word Title Property for the document is incorrect. The incorrect doc title is then carried over to the PDF Document Title Property, and then shows up incorrect in the results of the InfoSeek search results, along with an out-of-date date stamp.

To solve the problem, I've tried correcting the Title Property of the source Word .doc file before PDFing it, then verifying the correct Document Title property in the resulting PDF file, then uploading the newly created PDF to the staging area for the site. Yet even when I access the "new" PDF file on the external web site, my search results still return a document with an incorrect title and an old date.

Does the Infoseek search engine do some sort of catalog or snapshot of site files that might not be dynamically updated? That's the only other thing I can even think of that might be causing this problem. Does anyone out there have any other ideas about how to correct this problem?

dar
(fwiw, CC's to robertsd -at- bis -dot- adp -dot- com will probably get a faster response than to the list itself. I use my home account for most Techwr-l business. Thanks, folks!)

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr