RE: Using References in your work

Subject: RE: Using References in your work
From: "Secara, Maggie" <Maggie -dot- Secara -at- indymacbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:35:30 -0800

Using references how? What kind of references do you think you should/could
be using in a learning guide? You probably want to include a "For more
information" or "Recommended reading" list, and that's great, but you're
writing a guide, not a paper with footnotes, right?

New writer or old, your writing should be your own. It sounds like what you
should be doing is reading all the material, then putting it aside while you
write up your guide. Check with your sources as you go, but don't copy from
them, and don't copy from anyone else either--even with a citation. That's
not reinventing the wheel. That's writing with some imagination and
originality.

Trust yourself. In this business, self-confidence is a cardinal virtue. <g>
Of course, I may have misunderstood your question.

Maggie Secara

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr