Re: wannabe tech writer

Subject: Re: wannabe tech writer
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:48:49 -0700

Okay, I'll risk some flames and say this: I think MOST tech writers are in
it for the money. Or at least, that's why most of us decide to TRY tech
writing.

Then, if we find that we A) like it, B) are good at it, C) can earn a
living doing it (or any combination of one or more of these conditions),
we keep at it. And - I hope - continue to get better at it.

But to me, at least, it's a JOB. I do it for money, not for love. What I
love is being able to provide food and shelter for my family. (They're
real needy about that stuff.)

Don?t get me wrong - I do love to write. But to me, tech writing is more
about learning and teaching than it is about writing. You don't really
spend your day just writing; you're acquiring and assimilating
information, then organizing and presenting it. It ain't Shakespeare
(although I've seen some work that's sort of like Hemingway with bulleted
lists...).

I sense that some people are bristling at the idea of some "mercenary
types" who are being candid about their interest in exploiting tech
writing for the money they can make. But let's be honest - how many of us
announced, "When I grow up, I want to write instruction manuals and online
help" when we were little kids? Every tech writer _I_ know came to tech
writing from another profession. And money was usually a BIG part of the
decision to make that move. YMMV.

My advice: give it a try, and good luck!

- Keith Cronin

_____________________________________

The length of the average signature line should be inversely proportionate
to the depth, importance, and/or accuracy of the content of the message to
which it is attached. Further, the structural density of the
aforementioned signature line should exceed that of the primary message
content by a ratio of not less that 3:1, a determination that is best made
by comparing the number of syllables contained therein to the actual
number of words contained within the missive. Any attempts to deviate from
these standards will be detected immediately by corporate mail servers,
and will be met with a high degree of digital disdain.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr