RE: the new economy and finding a job

Subject: RE: the new economy and finding a job
From: "Denise Dennett" <denise_dennett -at- supplyworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:05:55 -0500

When I was looking for a job last year (yes I know that was when there
were lots of jobs), I took a different approach. For personal reasons, I
had to be able to go home at lunch time. The good thing was I lived
within 2 miles of a fairly densly developed area (the
Billerica/Bedford/Burlington Mass area) where there are lots of
companies. I did a web search (I used google) for the street name, city,
and "careers". The results let me check out many companies that were in
my immediate area. Those I would be interested in (even if they had no
current openings), I made a bookmark and would check up on periodically.
That's how I found my current job, Sr. Tech Writer (and only TW) at
SupplyWorks, Inc. I did find a few others that I interviewed for or
chose not to interview for, too. If you know where (geographically) you
want to work, you might try this method.

Good luck in your search,

Denise Dennett
SupplyWorks, Inc.

Molly Hovorka wrote:

>For so many years, it has been fairly easy to get a job in technical
>writing, at least on the high tech side. Jobs have been posted in a
many
>places, you didn't necessarily have to know someone inside, and offers
could
>come as fast as the same day one interviewed. How times have changed!!
Many
>of my old sources have dried up (STC board, this list and related web
site),
>and I've had to get more creative in the ways I've looked for a new
job. Out
>of curiosity, what sites and strategies have you found useful lately if
you
>are looking for a job? What would you avoid?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr