Re: Prerequisites for a tech writing career (apologies for holiday-delay)

Subject: Re: Prerequisites for a tech writing career (apologies for holiday-delay)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:09:17 -0500

I want people who (1) are smart and (2) Get Things Done Well. Just getting them done doesn't impress me.

S Ryan wrote:

Several folks have outlined what they think makes a sucessful tech writer.
Let me add my .02, or actually someone else's .02, with which I agree
heartily. There is a site called www.joelonsoftware.com where Joel describes
how he manages the software development process in his company. (And it is
HIS company, Fog Creek Software.)
He feels rightly that hiring the right people is essential. While he talks
about hiring software engineers, I think it applies equally well to tech
writers. He wants people who are 1. Smart and 2. Get Things Done.

There are a lot of nice-to-haves like production experience, graphics
experience, programming background, whatever...., but I agree with Joel that
it boils down to his 2 criteria.

Thoughts?

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr