RE: Looking for Doc Class Recommendations (or How You Learned to Love Documenting APIs)

Subject: RE: Looking for Doc Class Recommendations (or How You Learned to Love Documenting APIs)
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:16:06 -0500

Marsha asked about learning more about API documentation. Marsha, I learned
on the job, thanks to some very patient developers. I also learned by
looking at other API docs, as Barry suggests. I looked at competitors' docs
(thanks all you competitors out there!) and at MS Visual Basic
documentation, since that is one of the main apps our clients use.

You might want to pose this question to the API writers' Yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nettechwriters/. We are a small, somewhat
disturbed ;-), group who concentrate on discussions of API documentation
concerns. You might want to search the archives there for some advice, or
ask the list for advice. The Bookmarks section also links to some good
articles about API writing. This list has also had many discussions about
API documentation. I think looking through the TechWr-L archives would be
worth your time.

As for classes, I know of two workshops: one offered by Gordon and Gordon
and one just recently announced in the TechWr-L announcements. To read more
about the Gordon and Gordon workshop, go to
http://www.gordonandgordon.com/apisandsdks.html. Manuel Gordon recently
presented a short version of this workshop at one of our local STC training
events, and it received very good reviews. Our company has purchased the
workbook (you can purchase it separate from the workshop), and we're very
pleased with it. The workbook has been discussed on the TechWr-L list in the
past, so you might want to search the archives.

The other workshop was announced in the TechWr-L announcements, and you can
read the announcement at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0112/techwhirl-0112-01075.html. I
don't know any more about it than what's on that page.

Good luck finding out more about API docs, Marsha. Feel free to write me if
you have specific questions, and please consider joining our API doc writers
Yahoo group. I think you'll find it a good resource.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.
www.fpoint.com

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr