RE: Sub Contracts on Resumes

Subject: RE: Sub Contracts on Resumes
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:09:06 -0500

John Fleming [mailto:johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com]asked about "Sub Contracts on
Resumes"

"How do you show a sub-contract on your resumes? That is, projects where
the deliverable was for Company A, Company A contracted the work to Company
B and Company B subcontracted the work to you."
_______________
John:

Having had a lot of contract jobs in my career (although I don't think I had
any third-party ones like this) I dealt with them by listing my position as
a "contract technical writer" in my two-page summary resume with year-only
dates. For instance:

1978-79 Contract Technical Writer at Bell Labs, Naperville IL, with a 1-4
line summary of what I did.

Then I have a separate "Detailed Work & Salary History" page where I spell
out the details: September 1978 to August 1979, contractor at the company's
name, division, & street address, and my supervisor's name, title, and phone
number, followed by employee of agency name, with the street address, and my
agent's name and phone number.

This keeps the main resume to a reasonable size, and I have a printed
detailed history to supply upon request, or if I get an interview, to attach
to an application in lieu of filling in those tiny job history boxes.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr